This project is read-only.

Metadata

Jun 10, 2012 at 1:27 AM

Hi there...

Thanks for a great tool - this is *SO* close to what I need, but something seems to be mis-firing, and I just want to check if there is something I am doing wrong, or what I could do to make this problem right.

A quick test shows FlickrMetadataSynchr downloads my photos with all the metadata I want - location, tags, title and description.  But I want to use the tool to transfer my pictures to another Flickr account with metadata intact, so when I manually re-upload through the Flickr site, the metadata doesn't all end up in the correct place.

The tags and location are fine, but the title is used for the title *AND* description on Flickr, and the description that is saved to the picture is unused.  I can see the metadata has all been downloaded to the picture correctly - if I right click on the individual images and view properties -> details then I can see the Title, tags, comments (this is the original Flickr description) and GPS fields are all correct.  It's just that Flickr doesn't use the comments/description to populate the description field on the site.

Is there a way I can get Flickr to read the comments field for it's use as a description?  Testing with a variety of different entries in each field shows that Flickr is definitely repeating the Title field in both the image's Title and Description fields, and not taking the description from any other metadata field ( - viewing the properties of images also show that the subject field contains exactly the same as the Title field - but this is not used for the description as I have tried changing this field to see if that would appear with the image on Flickr - but it does not.)

Thanks (hopefully) in advance.

gk

Jun 10, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Glad you like my tool.

Yeah, Flickr doesn’t treat metadata well (in my opinion) when uploading pictures using their website.

You might have more luck when you upload using this tool (not created by me): http://vistaflickruploader.codeplex.com/

Despite the name, it should also work on Windows 7.

Jun 12, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Haha!  Thanks for the reply Erwyn!  Things had gone a little quiet here and I wondered if you were still involved with this!

I did see Vista Flickr Uploader and gave it a try, but it opened, had problems connecting, and when I tried restarting the program it would not open ever again!  I don't know what I did wrong.

Anyway, I will devote a bit more time to try and see if I can get it working properly this week.  Thanks for the reply!

best

gk

Jun 12, 2012 at 10:33 AM

I've added a private build of VistaFlickrUploader to my SkyDrive. That should run better than the "click once" version (I guess, that one really works only once ;) from CodePlex.

http://sdrv.ms/Kk3dom

Jun 12, 2012 at 8:54 PM

:) I'll give it a go tomorrow when hopefully I'll get more than one click out of it!

Cheers, Erwyn!

gk