Unable to Download Missing Pictures

Dec 6, 2014 at 11:34 PM
Just signed up Flickr recently. Found your app exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.
One problem is that "Download missing pictures from Flickr" setting is always grayed out.
On your documentation page, it states that it will "Optionally download pictures from the selected Flickr set that do not have a matching picture in the local folder for users with a Flickr Pro account."
As of May 20, 2013, Flickr Pro is no longer being offered. So for new users like me, we could not download missing pictures from Flickr. Is it possible to remove the Pro restriction from your app? Thanks again for this very useful application.
Coordinator
Dec 21, 2014 at 11:15 AM
That is a good suggestion which makes sense. I'll implement it when I find time to update my tool.
Coordinator
Dec 23, 2014 at 6:25 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Coordinator
Dec 23, 2014 at 6:47 PM
I uploaded the new version that removes the Flickr Pro restriction for downloads. Please give it a try.
Dec 23, 2014 at 9:54 PM
Hi, Erwyn,

Thanks for implementing this feature so quickly. I tried the new version, the "Download missing pictures from Flickr" setting is not grayed out any more.
But when I click the check box, it just has no effect. So it still won't download missing pictures.
Coordinator
Dec 24, 2014 at 11:10 AM
I found the bug and fixed it. Also, I tested it myself now with a non-pro account. So hopefully version 1.8.2.0 will do the trick for you too. Please try this new version.
Dec 24, 2014 at 8:35 PM
Version 1.8.2.0 works great! Really appreciate it.
I noticed that after the local JPG file was updated with the metadata of the matching one on Flickr, the file size is a few hundred KB's smaller.
A couple of examples:
File size before merge File size after
3,039KB                           2,243KB
2,153KB                           1,660KB
What part of JPG file is truncated during the merge? Thanks.
Coordinator
Dec 24, 2014 at 9:18 PM
The visual bits are copied as-is without changing the compression. So It can only be the metadata part or metadata padding part of the file that changes. Normally the file becomes a bit bigger after syncing as most images have little metadata padding. Somehow I think your files had a lot of metadata padding which shrunk during the sync.
Dec 25, 2014 at 4:21 AM
Edited Dec 25, 2014 at 3:09 PM
EXIF metadata are restricted in size to 64 KB in JPEG images. I used JPEGsnoop to examine my JPEG files. They have hundreds of KB of data existing after EOF. When an application like Windows Live Photo Gallery changes/transforms the metadata of the original JPEG file from camera, it shrinks the EXIF (by removing padding?) and truncates JPEG data existing after EOF. As a result, the output EXIF, as well as JPEG, is smaller than the original from camera.
So, FlickrMetadataSynchr behaves similarly to WLPG. I am curious to know:
Is it the Flickr API that returns less metadata than the original, or is it the FlickrMetadataSynchr that shrinks EXIF and JPEG during sync'ing process? Thanks.