This project is read-only.

Syncing multiple machines

Jun 25, 2009 at 1:05 AM

I think FlickrMetadataSynchr may be what I need, but let me run this scenario by you.  All my photos live on a server at home.  I have copied them to my laptop, and my wife has copied them to hers.  We have both been tagging, some to the same photos, and she has renamed some of the files.   I would like the tags I have added and the tags she has added to both find their way to the original versions on the server.  Do you see any problems with this:

Upload all of the photos to Flickr from the server.  Run FlickrMetadataSynchr on my laptop, run FlickrMetadataSynchr on hers and then run it again on the server.  Will this result in all of the tags we have both added being saved to the photos on the server, including the files she renamed on her laptop?  Does it matter if the directory structure is different between the 3 computers?

Are there any problems I should look out for?

Jun 25, 2009 at 10:25 AM

If you set the "Tags sync behavior" to merge in the UI, the procedure you describe should work.

As long as pictures can be matched by the date time at which they were taken, renames of the files should not matter. If you have multiple images that were taken within a second, then matching is more difficult. In that case the title on Flickr should match the filename (without extension).

The directory structure is not important as long as all pictures you want to sync are in one set on the Flickr side and in one folder or subfolders of that folder locally. Make sure you check the option "Include subfolders" in the tool.

Reading the metadata of all pictures from Flickr is not very fast, so you might want to start with a smaller batch of pictures to verify that the procedure works. Say with a 100 pictures.

Let me know when you encounter any issues. Have fun synchronizing!