Log errors and continue

Jul 19, 2009 at 10:11 PM

I have a lot of photos to sync, and have broken them into a few sets to make it more manageable.  It still takes a long time for each set.   It was frustrating then, to find an entire sync failed because one local picture couldn't be accessed because another application had it open.  It would be nice if certain problems could be logged and skipped, rather than halting the whole process.

Jul 20, 2009 at 1:25 AM

Also I have some corrupted images on the local disk that are halting the sync.  Unfortunately I don't have any way to tell which image stopped it.  It would be nice to automatically skip such files, and give me a list of problem files at the end.

Coordinator
Jul 28, 2009 at 6:27 PM

Hi Ian. The app does handle some common errors, logs them and continues. Even if an error goes unhandled, the log window and log file should show the "stack trace" for the error that occurs. This should help in pinpointing the picture that causes the issue.

Please attach your log file containing an error that you would like to see handled more gracefully.

Jul 28, 2009 at 10:42 PM
I'll post the error after my laptop gets back from the shop. It was
something like the metadata couldn't be read because the file was
corrupt. I had several photos that wouldn't upload thru Flickr
Uploadr for the same reason but I didn't keep track of which ones.

The stack trace doesn't help because I was synching a lot of
subfolders and I don't know what order it was doing them in. Using
file names in the log would make tracking down problems a lot easier.
Coordinator
Jul 29, 2009 at 8:43 AM

If you still have a "corrupt" image file that will be useful to me as well in order to replicate  the error. The app skips over all metadata problems that I am currently aware of (and reports them in the log file indicating the filename), so this must be a new class of problems.