Tags not synching

Sep 12, 2016 at 1:14 PM
Hi,

not sure if you're still reading this, the posts seem quite dated.

I just tried to synch flickr tags with untagged pictures - as well as downloading a flickr Set to an empty folder. I assume the downloaded pictures will contain the metadata of the flickr set.

However - while the downloaded files contain all metadata that was present in the uploaded files, exif, xmp, etc, the added tags from flickr aren't present in the metadata of the downloaded file.

Has flickr changed something about the way they handle metadata so this software no longer works? Or am I making a mistake somwhere?

Thanks!
Coordinator
Sep 12, 2016 at 4:21 PM
Hi,

I still read new posts when they arrive. But I haven't used or updated FlickrMetadataSynchr in a while.

To test, I just tried the latest public version on a set of my own. And the update of tags in the local pictures after download works fine for me.

Did you uncheck the option "Simulate updating metadata" in the app? It's there as a precaution so users can review changes first before syncing for real.

Regards,
Erwyn
Sep 12, 2016 at 8:55 PM
Oh man. Feel like an idiot. Reading helps. Of course. Thanks. #facepalm ;)

And thanks for the software! Lost a Lightroom catalogue and this way I can recover the tags and even lightroom adjustment XMP data from the exported flickr images!
Sep 13, 2016 at 12:08 AM
Also - should you ever decide to touch this great tool again.

I don't know how many people ever have this problem, but recreating Lightroom settings from exported jpgs is totally possible by changing the XMP:AlreadyApplied flag from true to false and reapplying the XMP to the original files. Since you're already manipulating XMP to include the flickr tags, I wonder if it would be possible to add a checkbox allowing to switch the Applied Flag on import.

The way I'm currently doing it is synching the metadata to local copies of flickr files, then use exiftool (GUI) to switch the AlreadyApplied flag to false, then reimport the metadata from the local copies of flickr exports to the orginal files (again with exiftools).

Thanks!